How To Get FASTag – FASTag is a device that employs Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology for making toll payments directly while the vehicle is in motion.
WHAT IS FASTag?
FASTag (RFID Tag) is affixed on the windscreen of the vehicle and enables a customer to make the toll payments directly from the account which is linked to FASTag.FASTag is a simple to use, reloadable tag which enables automatic deduction of toll charges and lets you pass through the toll plaza without stopping for the cash transaction. FASTag is linked to a prepaid account from which the applicable toll amount is deducted.
FASTag is a perfect solution for a hassle-free trip on national highways. FASTag is presently operationally at 407 toll plazas across national and state highways. More toll plazas will be brought under the FASTag program in the future. Shri Nitin Gadkari the Road Transport and Highways Minister, has announced that FASTags will become mandatory for all vehicles, private and commercial, from December 15, 2019, but some issues the deadline has been extended by January 15, 2020.
HOW FASTag WORKS?
In these, we can understand how NETC (National Electronic Toll Collection) System works on the FASTag process by following ways :
- Whenever the vehicle passes through the ETC lane of the Toll Plaza, the Toll Plaza system captures the FASTag details like (Tag ID, TID, Vehicle class, etc.) and sends it to the Acquiring bank for processing.
- The Acquiring bank sends a request to the NETC (National Electronic Toll Collection) Mapper to validate the tag details.
- Once the Tag ID is validated, NETC(National Electronic Toll Collection) Mapper responds with details like Vehicle class, VRN, Tag Status, etc. If the Tag ID is absent in NETC Mapper, it will respond that the Tag ID is not registered.
- After successful validation of Tag ID from NETC Mapper, the acquirer host calculates the appropriate toll fare and initiates a debit request to the NETC system.
- NETC System will switch the debit request to the respective issuer bank for debiting the account of the customer.
- The issuer host shall debit the linked tag holder account and sends an SMS alert to the tag holder. The Issuer host shall send the response message to the NETC system. If the response is not sent within the defined TAT, the transaction is considered as Deemed Accepted.
- NETC system will notify the response to the acquirer host and the acquirer host will notify to respective toll plaza system.
HOW TO GET FASTag?
You can buy a FASTag in any of the following ways:
- You could purchase FASTag online and have it delivered to your home. Alternatively, you could walk into your nearest certified banks (FASTags are issued by 22 certified banks) and buy a FASTag.
- Another option to buy a FASTag is from toll plazas. While traveling through any toll plaza, one can buy a FASTag from the toll booth. Just remember to carry the registration and KYC documents when going for the purchase.
- A FASTag can also be purchased across various E-Commerce platforms such as Amazon.
- FASTag can be purchased online from Issuer Banks websites / NHAI website / IHMCL website and will be delivered by courier at the doorstep of the purchaser.
HOW TO ACTIVATE FASTag?
Self-Activation – The online FASTag is based on the concept of DIY (Do-It-Yourself) where you can self-activate it by entering vehicle details in the ‘My FASTag’ mobile app. Android smartphone users can download the My FASTag app from the ‘Google Play Store and iPhone users can download the app from the ‘Apple Store’.
The NHAI (National Highways Authority of India) Prepaid wallet facility is also available in the My FASTag mobile app, where you can load money and get your toll fee deducted from the prepaid wallet instead of getting it directly deducted from a bank account. Activate by visiting a certified bank branch – You can also buy FASTag by visiting the nearest certified bank branch and get the FASTag linked with your existing bank account.
HOW TO RECHARGE FASTag?
Customers can recharge their FASTag either by cheque or online using their Credit Cards, Debit Cards, NEFT, RTGS, or Net Banking. Customers can recharge anywhere between Rs 100 to Rs 1 lakh at a single time. Each issuing agency might have its way of allowing you to recharge. Customers can recharge through the steps mentioned by their issuer agency.
Mobile app – MyFASTag is a consumer App that can be downloaded for Android. A consumer can purchase or recharge FASTags on this App. The App also helps to keep track of transactions and provides for online grievance redressal. To download the app for Android, click here
Documents required for purchase of FASTag
- Since the FAS Tag is linked to an account, KYC documentation would be required as per the KYC policy of the Issuer Bank.
- Apart from the KYC documentation, you need to submit a Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle along with the application of FASTag.
- Address and ID Proof: Any one of the following (Driving license, Aadhar Card, Passport, PAN, or Voter ID).
- One passport size photograph of the owner.
CHARGES FOR FASTag?
FASTag is issued by Issuing Banks and banks can charge a maximum of Rs. 200/ – for each tag. However, the actual tag issuing charges are defined by the Issuing Bank and may vary from bank to bank.
Benefits Of FASTag
- Cashless payment – FASTag users don’t need to carry cash for toll transactions, and don’t need to worry about collecting the exact change.
- Faster transit – Auto – debit of exact amount through the FASTag enables faster transit through the toll plazas and saves time.
- Online recharge – FASTag can be recharged online through Credit Card / Debit Card / NEFT/ RTGS or Net banking.
- SMS alerts – Instant SMS alerts on a registered mobile number for toll transactions, low balance, etc.
- You do need to carry cash for the toll transactions, it saves your time and fuel.
- FASTag also causes environmental benefits like reduced air pollution and the use of paper.
- Web portal for customers – Customers can access their statements by logging on to the FASTag customer portal.
Points To Note
- As per the IHMCL website, “If you reside within a range of 10 km from the toll plaza, you can avail a concession on toll to be paid via your FASTag. In such a case, you need to submit the required documents – proof of residence at the bank, nearest POS location to validate that your residential address is within 10 km of a particular toll plaza. Once the address is verified, you can avail of a concession on the toll paid via FASTag assigned to your vehicle.
- You cannot use one FASTag for two or more vehicles, you will need to take two separate FASTags for the two vehicles.
- The tag has a validity of 5 years and after purchasing, you only need to recharge/ top up the tag as per your requirement.